Wednesday, September 16, 2015

A Garbage Story

When we lived in Geneva, we had three big garbage containers for my neighbors and my family. You just threw in any rubbish, kitchen scraps, broken furniture, paper, glass, and plastic bottles, obsolete electronics, e.g., whole television sets, and garden waste. You just name it. A garbage truck came by once a week and emptied the containers.

In an earlier blog, I informed you that Freiburg has an elaborate system for separating waste using a green (?) container for paper, a brown bin for organic compostable stuff, and a yellow plastic bag for used packaging materials. All these things will be recycled. But there is more separation. Near my house, a row of containers accepts bottles of brown, green, and clear colored glass separately, and in addition, there are particular bins for scrap metal, used electronics, and clothing.


Materials that cannot be recycled are regarded as Restmüll (garbage) and go into a dark-gray bin. When we moved to Freiburg, I roughly understood that I had to rent a standard Restmülltonne (garbage bin) with a capacity of 140 liters where the volume can be adjusted by an insert according to the needs. I had the choice between volumes of 35, 60, and 140 liters and a frequency of emptying the Tonne every one or two weeks.
Abfuhr
35 Liter
60 Liter
140 Liter
14-täglich
36,78 €
63,12 €
147,12 €
wöchentlich
73,56 €
126,24 €
294,24 €


Garbage generally "stinks," so I opted for a 60-liter volume to be emptied once a week, costing about 100 euros a year (prices have increased since then). The other household containers (brown, green, and yellow plastic sacks) are free of charge as recycling materials largely compensate for emptying those bins.

My Restmülltonne had hardly arrived when my doorbell started ringing insistently. My neighbor was standing there, "Das geht aber garnicht (That doesn't work at all)," and started to give me a seminar in Müllogie (garbagery). "Here in our building, we have two garbage bins of 140 liters to be emptied once a week where we, the apartment owners, share the charge. You must return your private garbage bin and join our garbage club." She insisted so much that I became intimidated. I have to admit, the sharing system worked fine, as it does in my new apartment.

However, not all works well in the system. Some people try to minimize costs and choose a much too small volume for their garbage bin, hoping there will be free space in their neighbor's bin. If this is not the case, they heap their garbage so the bin's lid can no longer be closed. This happens in 10% of all containers.


From today on, Freiburg's garbage men will issue a warning in the form of a yellow sticker when the lid of a bin is not closed. The color will change from yellow to red starting November 1, and the garbage bin will be left behind unemptied. Things are looking grim, but the households concerned have three choices to get rid of their garbage:

Legally: You buy a special red Restmüllsack (garbage bags of 35 liters for 3,96 euros or 70 liters for 7,92 euros), fill the red plastic bag with your garbage, and have it wait to be collected the following week.

Semi-legally: You make small garbage packages and carry those to the nearest public waste bin.

Illegally: You dispose of your garbage somewhere in Freiburg and its surroundings.

With all those lids not closed and ticketed, some fear a littered Freiburg. Will the Green City eventually need a Stadtkümmerer?
*

7 comments:

  1. I think that I'm into your pieces of writing. I wait for your posts every week. I learn many new interesting things from the articles. The information is essential for me. I want to thank you for sharing hanks for the website article.Really thank you! Significantly obliged.
    bulk trash removal

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time visit to your blog and I am very interested in the articles that you serve. Provide enough knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful and don't forget, keep sharing useful info.
    tv recycling near me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post. commercial cleaning santa monica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, amazing blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is fantastic, as well as the content!
    dumpster removal reviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thank you! What an excellent post and outstanding article. Please visit our website Textile waste management

    ReplyDelete