Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Marillenknödel



When Red Baron read the above announcements, he was all excited. Marillenknödel are not simply apricot dumplings. I had them once made in Geneva 25 years ago by an Austrian lady as the main course and still remember the taste of this juicy delight (Marcel Proust sends his regards). Already, the name Marillenknödel sounds like the k. and k. Monarchy (Austro-Hungarian Empire) for Marillen harvested in Austria differ from Aprikosen in Germany.

Afraid of being late with my inscription to the event, I immediately chose October 1 as my date but soon felt frustrated being informed that my date had to be advanced due to the lack of participants. When I went to the Augustinermuseum to buy my voucher, I was told that to achieve a quorum of six participants, they had finally moved me back to square one, i.e., October 1.

When the museum closed at 5 p.m., our group of only five started the scheduled guided tour of the exhibition Greiffenegg und Ramberg. Having seen the collection twice, I was the only person not having regrets when, precisely at 5.15 p.m., all the lights went off in the exhibition hall. Following a long wait, the lighting could only be partly re-established. While you can admire the graphic highlights in my earlier blog, our guide used the light of his smartphone to illuminate the most interesting drawings for us.

Later, we walked up to the Greiffenegg-Schlössle and read on a sign that the restaurant was closed. However, when we opened the door, we were well received, being the only guests of the evening.

An improvised Greiffenegg drink instead of Ramberg aperitif.
As an aperitif, the house offered the newly created Ramberg drink with gin, tonic water, and peppermint leaves on the occasion of the exhibition. However, our charming service lady soon returned and announced that the tonic water was off. Instead of Ramberg, the chef had prepared a drink that he baptized Greiffenegg based on Gewürztraminer wine on the rocks plus peppermint leaves. Again, I had no regrets about having tasted the Ramberg drink on another occasion. Both drinks need getting used to.

I wanted to order an Austrian wine for the k. and k. three-course dinner, but in its absence, I finally opted for a white Burgundy from the vineyards on Freiburg's Schlossberg we were looking at while dining.

Salad of chanterelles, walnuts, and pears
The first course was so excellent that we asked ourselves whether there would be further escalation.

Fillet of beef Esterhàzy-style and potato galettes
And there was. Red Baron had the best beef fillet for years and could have used the double quantity of an incredible sauce.

I was overwhelmed and thinking: Why are only so few of my countrymen/women embracing the idea of a combined cultural-gastronomical event? The Greiffenegg-Ramberg exhibition closed today but will be followed by one devoted to Rembrandt's graphics. Will the Augustinermuseum give the concept of a joint event another try?

Enter the Marillenknödel. I was in such a high mood that I forgot to take a photo of the dish. It was a nice dessert, but regrettably, it did not revive my souvenirs. 

Ultimately, the chef and service united at our table, and we were full of praise. What a memorable afternoon and evening!

Applause, applause
*

No comments:

Post a Comment